Search This Blog

Saturday 7 September 2013

The Birthday - Nazeka Kyou wa (english translation)

This one doesn't make much sense. Not sure if it's my sketchy Japanese skills, or just Chiba being Chiba.



なぜか今日は / Somehow, Today

Lyrics: Chiba Yusuke
Music: The Birthday

Sunday, Shinjuku fishnet tights
On the way home from the supermarket
A smiling blonde with a baby carriage and shorts on Bird Day*

My friend flies a black bicycle
The shy driver is always gazing at the sky

Somehow, today I feel things like murder can’t happen
But, on the other hand, I also feel like something will

The crying mascara ground
Hey, smile
That’s it, stand up
It’s time for an afternoon snack
Shall we go to eat something sweet?

Somehow, today I feel things like murder can’t happen
But, on the other hand, I also feel like something will

Something today
But surely today
But something today
But surely today

Cinderella grew wings and took off
She keeps forgetting her shoes, but she’s happy

Somehow, today I feel things like murder can’t happen
But, on the other hand, I also feel like something will

Something today
But surely today
But something today
But surely today

La la la my humming melted into the sky
La la la my humming disappeared into the sky

Notes:
*"Bird Day"?

なぜか今日は / Nazeka Kyou wa

SUNDAY shinjuku amitaitsu
SUUPAAMAAKETTO no kaeri
Ubaguruma SHOOTOPANTSU tori no ichi SUMAIRU na BURONDO

Ore no tomodachi kuroi jitensha kazakiru
Kamoku na untensha wa zutto sora o nagamete iru

Nazeka kyou wa satsujin nante okoranai ki ga suru
Dakedo uragawa ni wa nanika ga aru ki mo suru demo

Naiteru MASUKARA jibeta waratte yo saa tatte
Oyatsu no jikan da amai mondemo kui ni ikou

Nazeka kyou wa satsujin nante okoranai ki ga suru
Dakedo uragawa ni wa nanika ga aru ki mo suru demo
Nanka kyou wa demo
kitto kyou wa demo
nanka kyou wa
demo kitto kyou wa

SHINDERERA ni hane ga haete tobitattetta
KUTSU wa wasureppanashi demo shiawase datte

Nazeka kyou wa satsujin nante okoranai ki ga suru
Dakedo uragawa ni wa nanika ga aru ki mo suru demo
Nanka kyou wa demo
kitto kyou wa demo
nanka kyou wa
demo kitto kyou wa

RA RA RA hanauta sora ni toketa
RA RA RA hanauta sora ni kieta

Kanji:
http://j-lyric.net/artist/a04c899/l02496b.html

3 comments:

  1. Hey, this is plastic_rainbow from MH! ^^ You did a nice job on the translation. It's one of my favorite songs~ If you don't mind, I'd like to give my own input too.

    I googled "tori no ichi" and found this. Basically, it's a bustling event held every year in Japan.

    I also noticed something odd about "mascara ground" because I instantly think of the cosmetic when I hear mascara. So after searching マスカラ a bit I found out that perhaps Chiba is referring to the city Mascara, Algeria. Then it makes all the more sense because he talks about how things like murder can't happen,like during a day of Tori no Ichi, whereas something bad may still happen, like in Mascara. I'm not familiar with the city, but that's what I'm getting from the lyrics.

    Also, just my opinion but it seems more effective to write these lines as so:
    Somehow today is
    But surely today is
    But somehow today is
    But surely today is

    From these lines then it seems like Chiba is saying somehow today is "a good day", but surely today is "still a bad day" (somewhere else in the world).

    Sorry...I think I wrote too much and I hope you don't mind! >_<
    But I think this really gives more meaning to the song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, sorry for the late reply! I have this account linked to an email that I don't use very often, so sometimes I don't see all the comments right away. ^^;

      Thanks so much for the input about this song and Tsumeato. I really love to see other peoples' takes on Chiba's lyrics, since they're so open to interpretation.

      I think you're probably right about Tora no Ichi.

      Regarding "mascara", what I was picturing is the person sitting/lying down, crying, and tears stained black by mascara hitting the ground, since the next line says to stand up and smile.

      Mascara being a city is equally plausible though, and stuff like that just makes translating Chiba's lyrics so much fun. ;)

      Delete
    2. Don't worry about it, I saw your comment very late too, haha. ^^;

      I never thought about the "mascara" interpretation that way. Interesting!

      Delete